The blog of

Short-Term Rental Regulations in Saskatchewan

By Nathan Guss|8 min|June 2023

Interested in earning extra income with a short-term rental business in Saskatchewan? Read on to learn about the guidelines that shape the STR sector in two of the province’s key urban centres.

While there are no specific regulations governing short-term rentals at the provincial level in Saskatchewan, various municipalities have established their own rules to ensure responsible, sustainable operations. This overview covers the cities of Regina and Saskatoon, examining their specific regulations so that you will know what to do if you have a project in either city. It will also give you a general idea of the types of current or future regulations to expect if you are starting an STR business elsewhere in the province.


Saskatoon, like many other cities, regulates short-term accommodations of less than 30 days to ensure compliance with safety standards and neighbourhood compatibility. For people looking into running an STR business, there are two relevant categories: homestays and short-term rental properties. Each has its own specific rules.


Homestays are short-term rental accommodations in the host’s principal residence (the primary location a person inhabits). This includes secondary suites where the host lives in the main home on the property. The city requires a commercial business license for hosting guests in a secondary suite or more than two guests in your home.

Maximum number of guests

  • One-unit dwelling: 6 guests
  • Secondary suite: 3 guests
  • Duplex, townhouse, apartment or condominium: up to 2 guests

On-site parking: 2 hard surface spaces (does not apply to zoning districts B6, MX2, M4 and DCD1)

Click here for zoning district map

Host declaration

The host declaration is a signed document required as part of the business license application for short-term accommodations in Saskatoon. It confirms compliance with safety requirements and includes essential information about the accommodation, such as the number of guests, parking spaces and whether the home is the host’s principal residence.

Short-term rental properties

The city defines short-term rental properties as rental accommodations in homes that are not the host’s principal residence.

Discretionary use approval

Discretionary use approval is required for short-term rental properties in certain residential zoning districts (R1, R1A, R1B, R2, R2A, RMHL, RMTN, RMTN1, RM1, RM2, RM3 and RM4). To apply for discretionary use approval, you need to complete the Discretionary Use Application form and submit it along with all required documentation via email to

Click here for the city’s page about discretionary use.

Other requirements

Maximum Number of Guests: Up to 6 guests

On-site Parking: 1 hard surface space (does not apply to zoning districts B6, MX2, M4 and DCD1)

Host Declaration: Required (same document described above for homestays)

How to apply for a license

Whether you are applying for a homestay or short-term rental property business, the application process is the same. First, complete and save the Host Declaration. Next, apply online for the Commercial Business License Application, and attach the necessary PDF documents, including the Host Declaration and **written permissions from the property owner and condominium corporation **(for renters and condo owners/renters respectively). The final step is to submit the completed Commercial Business License Application form with the required fee.

For more information

For the latest information on operating an STR in Saskatoon, visit the city’s website.


The City of Regina has established a licensing scheme and regulatory requirements for residential short-term accommodations. If you offer temporary accommodation in your principal or secondary residence, part of a residence, or a single room within the residence for a fee for less than 30 days, you must have a residential short-term accommodation license. Keep in mind that a separate license is required for each residence and licenses are not transferable between individuals or premises.

Regina’s definition of a principal residence

The city defines a principal residence as the place where a person normally lives and carries out their daily activities. This includes their home and any separate areas within it, such as a suite (aka a garden suite or a laneway suite). It’s the place where they receive mail and the address used on important documents, such as bills, identification, taxes, and insurance. The city considers any other units to be secondary properties.

License categories

There are two categories of residential short-term accommodation licenses issued by the City of Regina: Principal Residence Unit Licenses and Secondary Property Licenses. The license fee for a principal residence is $100, and the fee for a secondary property is $300. These licenses are valid for one year from the date of purchase and must be renewed yearly. Keep in mind that licensing fees are non-refundable.

How to apply

To apply for a residential short-term accommodation license, you need to complete the application form with the required information. This includes your name, address, contact information, the short-term accommodation’s address, building type, name or URL of where the accommodation will be advertised, and proof that the property is your principal residence (if applicable). If you’re renting or leasing the property, you need to provide written consent from the property owner through the Landlord Consent Form. Those applying as a corporation must submit proof of registration with the Corporate Registry.

The application process usually takes two to three business days for processing. Once you receive your license, it’s valid for one year and must be renewed annually. The renewal notice will be sent to you one month before the expiry date. You can renew your license online, by mail, phone or in person at City Hall.

Fire inspection

A fire inspection is required with the initial application for all secondary property units. The inspection will verify compliance with fire safety regulations.

Where to display your license number

The residential short-term accommodation license number must be included in all advertising, including online platforms. You must also display your license where it can be seen by guests.


If you break rules in any part of the Residential Short-Term Accommodation Licensing Bylaw, the City can revoke your license.

For more information

For the latest information and to apply online for a Residential Short-Term Accommodation License, visit the City of Regina’s page on STRs.

Before starting up a short-term rental business, be sure to consult your municipality’s regulations. Being a responsible STR operator is important: it helps maintain the character and livability of neighbourhoods while providing accommodation options for visitors. It also preserves housing availability for permanent residents, fosters positive community relationships and promotes sustainable tourism practices. By being informed and responsible, you can actively contribute to creating a thriving community and tourism industry in your city.

Share this article

Read more


By Nathan Guss|5 min|December 2023

British Columbia’s New Short-Term Rental Rules

In October 2023, British Columbia’s legislature passed the Short-Term Rental Accommodations Act, wh...


By Nathan Guss|5 min|November 2023

Extreme Weather Impacts the Insurance Industry

In recent years, the insurance industry has faced a surge in extreme weather. Climate change is mak...


By Alexia Leclerc|3 min|October 2023

Prioritizing Security : Announcing SOC 2 Type I Compliance

What is SOC 2? System and Organization Controls, as defined by the American Institute of Certified ...


By Nathan Guss|6 min|October 2023

Claims Adjusters: Self-Employment or Working for an Insurer?

Considering a career as a claims adjuster in Canada? With many paths available, each offering its u...


By Nathan Guss |6 min|October 2023

Claims Adjusters: Where to Find Your Next Job

The job market for claims adjusters in Canada is vast and varied. Determining the best approach can...


By Nathan Guss |9 min|September 2023

How to Succeed in Temporary Rentals?

Do you have a property that you’re thinking of listing for short- or medium-term rental? Or perhaps...


By Nathan Guss|4 min|September 2023

Temporary housing: social media accounts to follow

Running a temporary rental business requires staying informed about the latest industry development...

Home Insurance

By Nathan Guss|8 min|September 2023

Understanding Property and Casualty Insurance Vocabulary

Unless you’ve had a real string of bad luck or you’re a true pro at adulting, reading your insuranc...


By Nathan Guss|6 min|September 2023

Temporary Rentals: Should You Use a Short-Term Rental Management Service?

Short-term rental properties can be a lucrative side hustle or even full-blown business. But they c...